Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thin Layer

moonlight ---
through thin clothes
to naked skin
Hisajo Sugita

This haiku communicates a sensual experience. When light is given opportunity, the perspective of what is, is revealed. An artist learns that the angle of light influences the perspective of the image. I imagine the author laying out in a field and feeling the moon as it travels its arc above her.

Our clothing is just a thin layer of protection. We project who we are, what we want to be, how we see ourselves sometimes. Underneath though, we are vulnerable humans, more alike than different and yet, still unique. I wonder what additional thoughts passed through the author when she experienced the moonlight and then penned these words. I wonder what thoughts would pass through me if I allowed the moonlight to reveal my image.


No comments:

Post a Comment