Monday, July 22, 2013

Letting Go

i catch
the maple leaf      then let
it go
John Wills

Letting go of an idea, object, or relationship is not an easy process for many people. I  wonder if this is partly due in my case to the teachings of Christianity. The words of Christ do speak of this process. However, I feel as if the Christian church has either misinterpreted or intentionally manipulated those words. For example, in the patriarchal social structure of the Hebrews, this idea of "letting go" to be man and wife gave the power of the relationship to the male in the relationship. The women, in many relationships, is eventually devalued as a result. I have difficulty believing that this was the message of Christ.

I believe another result of the teachings is the difficulty in the grieving process. There is a lack of something, maybe it is understanding, ritual, or space, that prevents people from "letting go" with a sense of peace. I like the way this author illustrates this as a peaceful process.

No comments:

Post a Comment