Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Prairie or Desert?

bright sun
the seen of tall grass
when it bends
Jim Kacian

I can see this image on the prairie. A sense of respect exists between even the elements of nature. In the desert I live, few grasses or other plants exist that can bend when the wind blows and the sun rays fall. Plants generally grip the hard desert pavement and stand stiffly. Or, it has such minimal root structure that it becomes the blowing tumble weed. What a contrast between the resources and responses of the elements in the prairie and the desert.

I see the symbolism in these two environments. I have experienced both the social human community of the prairie and the desert. I feel as though human behavior, the relationships and responses to events, are very similar to that of the plants of the environment in which they live. On the prairie I have observed the farmer and his rhythm and response to the seasons while cultivating the land. In the desert people make a distinct decision of how to survive the different conditions and many times the limited resources.

Which environment do you prefer to exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment