Friday, October 12, 2018

Authentic Teachers

One of the things I remember about high school were the behaviors of my teachers outside the classroom. I did not live in a tiny town but I did see some of my teachers in different community situations and sometimes had the opportunity to interact with them. A few teachers attended the same church I did. My parents did not attend the church so my interaction as a teen was strictly by my choice with the church community. I observed how my teachers interacted with the other adults and us teens. They were always positive and caring. So when they demonstrated that behavior at the school I knew it was real, not just a persona, not just pretending that they cared for the students in the classroom, not just doing something because it was in some job description for teachers. They were real and authentic. I knew that if I went up to them on the school campus needing assistance, they would follow through and provide assistance as needed. I came to understand that sometimes these individuals went above and beyond the basics when they saw my needs. These teachers who are now retired most likely will never see this blog. But, I thank them. I thank them for being people I could trust and people who truly cared about me when I needed assurances.

No comments:

Post a Comment