Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Charred Fields

across the fields of stubble
flame stalks flame
David Cobb

I have seen the farmer's deliberate field burning. I can also recall May 18, 1980, when the beautiful blue sky of a Sunday morning turned suddenly a new shade of gray. Ash from Mt. Saint Helens fell from the sky and I was amazed at the power of nature, probably really felt it for the first time, as the mountain was 400 miles from my existing location.

I don't claim to fall into the "wise old woman" category but my observations of life so far --- this haiku says a lot. After a field has given all it is capable, a burning season is needed so that things can grow again. In life, the flames usually don't feel too great. Sometimes, just when we think the flames are finished, more arises. I remind myself, though, of the before and after images of the contemporary volcano. Once charred, it now now flourishes with growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment