Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Authenticity

“Be honest to yourself; and write what is there.” Teijo Nakamura, Japanese woman haiku master


This statement is a writer’s tenet. This is how I need to live. On the page I am authentic. I am more real on the page with words than I am in the classroom. Those who observe me in the classroom identify that teaching is my gifting. And yet, writing is where the honesty is known. So, here I am, in a state of life transition. And on this page I am honest to myself. I write what is here.

I love poetry, especially haikus. I am exploring haikus for many reasons. One aspect of haikus that I am drawn to is the juxtaposition. Haikus are known for their resonance with nature. Well written they also reflect the beliefs of the Asian cultures.

Following are chosen haikus that others have written with my observations penned. Also, at times an expression may appear with the authoring initials KJ. I am not a master by any means, though I enjoy being the instrument for putting the words on the page.

Enjoy,

KJ Eveleth

No comments:

Post a Comment